Friday, February 15, 2008

Karama means Dignity


Karama Organization in the Deheishe Refugee Camp

This past week as very impactful for me, not in the way that I thought it was going to be. After cutting my toe pretty badly, me and three other girls went out by ourselves to explore. We went up to Tiberius in the Galilee region; it was a wonderful two days. There we stayed close to the Sea of Galilee during that time we went to Nazareth and the Jordan River. It was really amazing seeing biblical sights. We then went to Bethlehem, spent three days there . . . that changed our lives.


15 year old boy killed by Israeli soldiers

Ellie (a Canadian), made plans or us to stay with a Palestinian family. Where we were to work with refugee children at the Karama center. We got through the check point and into West bank. From there we went to Dahashe refugee camp. Down a sketchy ally and into a very run down building, let us to the center. We sat down and where greeted by Laue, one of the two brothers that fun the Karama center. His brother Yassar, soon joined us and we where immediately in a very aggressive conversation about how much they hate Americans. Ellie, who made the plans, had previously told them thatshe was Canadian in her corresponding she failed to mention that all her companions where . . . Americans. So when Yassar asked what part of Canada we where all from, we sheepishly told him that Ellie was Canadian yet the rest of us where Americans. Needless to say when we where all taken aback by the tension that arose with our statement. The rest of the day included much more conversations all out of anger and hate towards Americans. We where than referred to as “the enemy” from than on out.


Palestinian refugee living in Dehishe

It was so interesting to get the Palestinian perspective on the “Israeli occupation.” We felt thrown into a extreme. We later found out that Yassar, one of the brothers had been in jail for five years by Israel and tortured. He was severely depressed and very angry. That first night happened to be Yassar’s birthday. We saw that they had cake but we where confused there the traditional birthday song was not being sung. Later we found out that they normally would sing but didn’t anymore due to fear of the Israeli soldiers hearing them and causing trouble. We sat together that night and prayed for protection and guidance.


Kid in Deheishe Refugee Camp

We found out that the kids at the Karama center where sad and down in spirits because ten days earlier one of their friends, a fifteen year old boy, was shot by one of the Israeli soldiers. The young boy had been walking net to some other Palestinians who where throwing rocks through the separation of the wall. Soldiers started firing and the young boy was caught in the crossfire. This was not a unusual occurrence for them.


Door in Refugee camp

We taught the kids at the center some English and also photography, mostly we just tried to have fun with them. That led to Laue, one of the brothers, taking us out to a water pipe bar, where we talked to him for three hours with him. The conversation consisted of him telling us his hate for America and how he aggress with violence as the answer. He looked at us and told us how happy he was when 9/11 occurred. This whole time we where there Terrorists where referred to as martyrs. That night we tried to talk to them about Christ and we told them that we where Christians. It was difficult to communicate because they kept bringing the conversation back to anti-American violence.


Ellie, Laud, Kate and Morgan looking out at the separation wall

The last day we taught the kids more photography, then we where shown a slideshow of the most horrific mutilated human bodies. After that, Yassar asked us if we still believed in God. What do you say to that? We all said yes! He went on to explain to us that a god who gives land to a people and condones killing “I damn that God” where his exact words. We prayed for them and left.


Boys at the Karama Center performing for us

We are all safe and back with the rest of our group. It was really hard for me to hear there perspective on what is happening in Israel. Palestinians are the descendents of the Canaanites. Israel was suppose to wipe them out when they where coming into the promise land, but they failed to do so. What can you say to these people about God’s love when they are not suppose to be here? For the first time I understand where they are coming from. I don’t agree with it but I really understand why they are so angry. What do you tell them about God’s love? How can a person believe in a god of love when things like that happen. I don’t know many things, but one thing I do know is that God is love! I look at the faces of the kids in the refugee camp and I know how much God loves the people. It was because of his love that Jesus came. I may not understand the Israeli / Palestine conflict. And honest I don’t know what side to take. But I have some thing that both sides don’t . . . hope. I am hopeful that Israel will step under the second covenant that is Jesus blood. And begin to love there enemies. I have hope that the palatines will find Jesus hope and love for them and that they will end the violence and hate, that through Jesus love peace will come. This is the only way these things will be resolved.


Ellie playing an English game with the Karama kids

Those three days in Palestine shock me and made me question a lot. But I can honestly say that I walk away from that experience more in love with Jesus, because he gives me hope. Please join me in praying for the Israeli /Palestine conflict and all of the Palestinian refugees. If you have any questions about my time please feel free to ask more questions.

GRAFFITI ON THE SEPARATION WALL



4 comments:

April Joy said...

Nicely typed. I like your photos. Intense story.

Backyard Bridge said...

Wow, incredible Autumn! This blog is deep. Keep up the great writing and photography!

Anonymous said...

I miss you sister!
Your blog was amazing. I am so proud of you and the things you have been called to do. I know you continue to be a light in those dark places. DAD is sure to bless you indeed!
Thank you for continuing to share your photos with all of us!
I love you! You are awesome!!!
MUAH! XOXOXO
p.s. what exactly happened to your toe?

Luke Humbrecht said...

Autumn, I love how God is using you to bring awareness to his people around the world. I will be praying. I agree the the hope for peace lies in Christ.
Carole