Tuesday, January 8, 2008

"Out of Egypt I called My Son" (Hosea 11)


The New Year comes with new resolutions, one of many resolutions that made my list for 2008 was to keep in touch with everyone who supports me so much. Though at times it is difficult due to lack of internet access and honestly not knowing how to make an international call, it was made clear to me that a blog is an easy way to not only share with you my experiences but also my pictures which are a very big part of what I am doing during my travels.


I am currently in Cairo, Egypt where one of the 7 wonders of the world lay, the great pyramids! We went to visit them on the 5 of January. They were swarming with tourist in January, which in reality is very understandable because the weather has been amazingly beautiful! Along with the masses of foreigners many locals we mounted on camels trying to sell a ride and a photo. It was so amazing to just be standing in a places where so many important occurrences from the Bible took place. It was very sobering to stand and just look across the miles and miles of sand stretching out eventually breaking at the Red Sea, the pyramids at my back. Walking along, a local man gave a vigorous complement directed at my eyes and followed it with an offer of marriage in exchange for 2 million camels, though I was tempted my better senses gave in and I declined.


Later that same day we went to a place called Garbage City. It was literally a dumb where trash lined the streets and crept its way into the locals homes. Everyone who lives in Garbage City works by sorting the trash into similar piles to be recycled in someway. Women sat alongside men in the rubbish and sorted, the children ran around playing with dirty faces and most of the time without shoes. Being a 6 foot white girl, along with a very lively blond Danish girl we were notice right away. The people would stand proudly asking to us to snap a picture of them. Though the women were harder to convince, kids swarmed to us in such a loving and playful manor. It was a little overwhelming, not only the very pungent smell but all the eyes looking upon me. A truly amazing experience and an honor to take pictures of these people.


As, the week begun so did classes that included a trip to the Museum of Egypt. Where I got to see lots of mummies (the animal mummies were my favorite). Lectures now fill my mornings and photo assignments and reading the Bible fills my afternoon. On Sunday the 13th we are going to be driving across the desert to Mount Sinai. Then we will be traveling to the Red Sea and will be staying along the coast until we eventually make our way up to Jerusalem.


This is such an amazing experience and I want to make all of you as much a part of this as me. I will be updating this blog as often as the access to internet allows, most likely every week! Please continue to pray for me during my travels, also if you can e-mail anytime (I would love that) if you have any questions or just want to say hi!

armase42@yahoo.com
armase42@gmail.com
(or you can just comment on this blog)

5 comments:

John and Elizabeth Fowler said...

Autumn,

You make me very proud! I love that you have made this new year resolution to update us all often. I love seeing your photos and hearing your adventures. I love you very much my sister. Miss you tons!!

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

My Little Ewe,

WOW!! I love the blog name by the way. You are so precious---not only are the pictures great but your writing is so evident of maturity that has transpired in your life. Keep shooting for the stars---God is so pleased with you following His call in your life. Love you---MUAH!! Mom

Timothy said...

Autumn:

Know that I am exceedingly proud of you. If I had a syllabus for you, this blog would have recieved very good marks.

Timothy

Backyard Bridge said...

Autumn, sweet action blog, great update! Keep up the good work (star sticker). La'a

Anonymous said...

these are amazing photos!! your photography has come in leaps and bounds since india! im proud of you autumn!