Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Sinai or Bust...


After the interesting week of teachings in Cairo we all headed out to the Sinai on a 9-hour van ride. We are staying in Sinai on the shore of the red sea; it is absolutely breath taking here. Yesterday I sat with my classmates on Egyptian couches 20 feet away from the beach. Basking in the sun reading, (I’m reading The Chronicles of Narnia right now) was one of the most peaceful experiences ever. Just sitting there with the sound of waves breaking and the thoughts that this is where God showed His wonders to His people.


Two nights ago was a very trying night for me. We as a class climbed Mount Sinai, though I only had a small backpack on, my back hurt so bad that I thought that I was going to pass out. So Emily offered to take a camel with me, the both of us made most of the way on the back of a camel. I don’t think that I can explain sitting on the camel thinking this could have been the place where Moses met with God. Looking up at the stars it gave new meaning to when God told Abraham that his descendants would be more than the stars, In the desert there are so many stars, I don’t think that I could give it justice in words just how magnificent it was!


We reached the top after 750 steps at about 3:30 A.M. and probably 30 degrees out. It was clod but beautiful. At about 6:20 the sun began to rise and it was amazing, God is so amazing and just the thought that Moses was there talking with God…man this is so cool! A Korean worship song broke out and I sang, “Then Sings my Soul” quietly along in English. One of the coolest things I have ever done! We went down another way then we came up and about 3800 steps later we were down (today my calves are burning). We visited Saint Catharine’s Monastery and inside are the burning bush…or so they say. I touched it and it was neat! The others went on to spend the night in the desert, I was getting sick and I after the Mount Sinai climb it felt like I was going to die so I went back to the camp. I’m sad that I couldn’t go but I’m feeling better
today so that’s good.


Tomorrow we are traveling to Jordan where we are staying for 2 nights and visiting other Biblical sites. Then it’s on to The Holy Land where we will be for one month. I will write again after we all get settled! Miss you guys but I am having the time of my life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to see your pictures. You really looked cold hehe. I miss you so much! I am happy that you get to experience so much and that it makes the Word come alive :)
I love you and miss you dearly